SubjectRe: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than on

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Pavel Machek wrote:

> What does this have to do with private namespaces?

Albert asked what to do if /var/spool/mail dies and every user
has his own namespace. Well, don't let him play with /var/spool/mail
directly...

> mailfsd /dev/coda0 --enable-imap &
> mount /dev/coda0 /var/spool/mail
>
> It looks easy to me, today and without private namespaces.
> [Shall I hack podfuk into providing imap? Okay, it would not be easy
> because
> * /var/spool/mail/xxx is _writable_, so your imap dream is probably
> dream. What does your mailfs do when someone does cat /bin/bash >
> $MYMAIL

Commit-on-close is one of the obvious variants...

> * podfuk is has file granularity
>
> I could see it working with some kind of directory format, however.]

Yep. And quite a few mailreaders can work with that. I'm less than sure
that CODA's local caching is appropriate, though. More RPC-oriented stub
in the kernel might augment it quite fine and in that case it would
probably work better. Or not...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.121 / U:0.452 seconds]