SubjectRe: Linux 2.2.18pre1
On Friday September 1, paul@clubi.ie wrote:

> 2: incompatible tools: those who follow a dist are already using
> incompatible tools anyway, and can either stay with their dist or get
> the neccessary tools themselves (nfs-utils is available in RPM and
> deb anyway!). those who follow the stock kernel can read the changes
> file.

What incompatible tools???

Any nfs-utils that work with vanilla 2.2.16 will work just fine with
patched 2.2.16. They may not access any new functionality, but there
ARE NO INCOMPATIBILITIES (that I know of, and I am quute close to the
game).

Note that this is in contrast to the changes that went into 2.2.14,
which DID break compatability - all of a sudden you needed to run
lockd from user space, where as before you didn't. (with the patches
you don't any more, so they actaully improve compatability).

NeilBrown

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.063 / U:27.040 seconds]