    SubjectRe: 2T for i386

    On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > >You might be able to do that with hardware IDE raid controllers and the like
    > > >such as the 3ware 8 port cards, or scsi raid controllers and then run ext3
    > > >or reiserfs.
    > >
    > > If you're building a 2TB array, you're not gonna do it with bloody IDE
    > > hardware. (I hope you're joking.)
    > I used to think that. Im planning on deploying a 1Tb IDE raid using 3ware kit
    > for an ftp site very soon. Its very cheap and its very fast. UDMA with
    > one disk per channel and the controller doing some of the work.
    > All it lacks is hot swap.

    especially when you start considering size and cost requirements ide looks
    particularly attractive.

    75GB scsi disks are 11 platter (ibm) or 12 (seagate) half height drives
    vs the 75gxp ide (ibm) with has five platters and is 1" high. The 75GB
    scsi disks are around $1500ea vs the ide which are around $550. so if
    you're requirements are lots of disk space you can do ide in about 1/2 the
    physical space and for about 1/3 the cost of a similar scsi
    implementation, at this time. there are of course still good reasons to
    go with scsi for various applications, but raw space alone probably isn't
    one of them.

    we're bringing up two 675GB stripes shortly to augment an existing 160GB
    stripe we have.

    Joel Jaeggli
    Academic User Services
    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
    It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
    arms. Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
    the right, 1843.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.021 / U:4.668 seconds]