SubjectRe: ISAPNP using an invalid IRQ, 2.4.0-test7
Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, M.H.VanLeeuwen wrote:
>
> > With default BIOS settings, IRQ 5 is unavailable for ISA yet
> > it is being assigned by the ne.c driver and NFS root system
> > doesn't finish booting.
> >
> > Is this a driver problem or a ISAPNP problem?
>
> It is general IRQ manager problem. ISA PnP code cannot determine which
> interrupts cannot be used. I think that we need some next layer between
> IO APIC control code and Plug & Play routines to exchange this information
> to prevent allocation of a free but unuseable IRQ for ISA PnP devices.
>
> Jaroslav

Kind of what I figured, too bad Linux 2.4 PNP is akin to Plug'N Pray (trademark MS ;)).
It seems as though 2.4 is taking a step backwards since the same system/bios setup
worked just fine on 2.2 with userland PNP utilities. Making PNP work for more
cases would sure be nice.

Do you know of anyone actively working to make the above kernel adjustments?
Can it be done relatively easily?

Martin

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.278 / U:0.416 seconds]