SubjectRe: hfs support for blocksize != 512

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, David A. Gatwood wrote:

> Indeed, that's what a VFS layer should do -- abstract away all physical
> structure, inodes, etc., leaving only the file abstraction. I've read

It does. That leaves caring about the internal structures to fs - you
don't want fscked block bitmap on ext2, you've got to protect it yourself.
Sorry.

> that the BSD-derived OSes have vnode interfaces that are remarkably
> similar to what you're describing, i.e. the concept isn't restricted to
> RTOSes.

That's what had been done. BTW, pure vnode interface leaves all
namespace-related race-prevention to fs writer. And they tend to fsck
up. "They" include Kirk, so... I wouldn't call it simple. Moreover, tons
of the code are duplicated (with slight variations in the set of present
bugs) in all filesystems.

> Note that I haven't touched the Linux VFS layer since 2.0.xx, so I'm not
> in a position to comment on the current state of the code. :-)

It got much simpler.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.068 / U:2.308 seconds]