SubjectRe: X Server Crash
That reminds me...

[Prepair for an off-topic flashback]

It must have been the summer of 1994. I had just downloaded and installed
Slackware. I didn't know that much about UNIX like OSes. I had an
account on the Delphi online service where I learned to use the command
line ftp. It didn't know what a symlink really was, I just knew I didn't
like them cause Delphi's ftp program would complain if you followed one
and then tried to follow a second one from there. So I would just see
where the symlink pointed and work my way over there...

...one directory at a time. I couldn't seem to get "cd pub\linux" to work
(notice the backslash). So would "cd pub", "cd linux" as two seperate
commnds. So symlinks were evil, cause I'd usually have to back track up
the tree, "cd ..", "cd ..", "cd ..", ..., and then work to where the link
pointed.

So a few years later, I have a fresh new Slackware install. I know Linux
uses forward slashes (just like the world wide web). So I'm exploring
around my machine. I get to /usr and I see X11, X11R5, and X386, and they
all contain the same files. What a waste. The little bit of
documentation I've read talks about X11R5, so I figure that'll be the one
I keep. So I go into X11 and start deleting stuff. I have cleaned it out
completely, so I head over to X386. Hmmm, strange there is nothing in
this one. How about X11R5, nothing there either. Oops.

Ah, the good old days. :)

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> Okay. Sounds good. The last time I had '/' full, I really cleaned it.
> I wondered why it had filled up. I checked /var/log /var/adm, etc.
> I couldn't find what had filled it up. Then I thought that one of
> my backups may have put a 'tar' file in /dev because of some mispelled
> device-name. There I found '/dev/root'. After recursively deleting
> this I had lots of space, ...err, buf `df` didn't work anymore ;^)
>
> I never did find out what had filled it up but it sure was empty after
> that....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.144 / U:0.116 seconds]