SubjectRe: If loadable modules are covered by Linux GPL?
"Morris Chen" <Morris_Chen@iptrend.com.tw> said:
> We are a leading anti-virus solution provider on Unix. Currently we are =
> trying to port our products to Linux. Our products consist of some =
> loadable kernel modules and daemons as well on Linux. The loadable =
> kernel modules are called 'hooks', which will change the runtime values =
> of sys_call_table[] of arch/i386/kernel/entry.S but never modify the =
> copy of entry.S file on the hard disk. According to the following =
> 'exceptions' of GPL, we want to know whether they won't be covered by =
> GPL or not if we distribute the Linux kernel and then our products at =
> different timepoints on the same host. Or is there any way else that =
> they won't be covered by GPL? Your prompt reply is greatly appreciated.

Please don't. Write up the kernel modules and what hooks they provide as
source and distribute as such, and then rely on that for your regular,
binary-only, product. Doing otherwise forces people to stay with a broken
kernel because that is the only one that works sanely with your stuff. The
internal interfaces in the kernel change quite rapidly, even during a
stable series.

And please don't post HTML to mailing lists. It is considered extremely
rude by some.
--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl