SubjectRe: Suggestion for laptop suspension
   Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:04:50 +0200
From: Marc Lehmann <pcg@goof.com>

On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 07:10:26PM -0400, "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@MIT.EDU> wrote:
> is how to mark memory as "unused". I had a theory that the APM BIOS
> suspend code was checking if the memory was all zero's, and not writing
> such pages to disk. This was a while ago, but a quick test didn't seem
> to bear out this theory.

Are you sure? Maybe the block of zero memory must be continuous at the
end, in which case fragmentation would certainly spoil this.

No, I'm not sure. As I said, I did a quick test, and when the obvious
thing didn't bear fruit, I lost interest and dropped it. It could have
been that I screwed up the test somehow. It also could have been that
the BIOS was using some other flag value (0xFF, etc.). There's a lot of
really easy tests that could have been done, that I didn't have time to
do.

There still is the question of whether anything we do to speed this up
would be laptop specific or not. I'm not an APM BIOS expert, so someone
like Stephen Rothwell would be much better equipped to comment on this
issue.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.029 / U:0.580 seconds]