    SubjectRe: dontdiff has unfixable problems

    [Philipp Rumpf]
    > so which are autogenerated files ? only those generated during the
    > build process or things like drivers/char/defkeymap.c as well ?

    Whatever doesn't ship in the .tar.bz2. See 'make mrproper'.

    > I think it would be more important to allow building outside of the
    > source directory - it seems to work reasonably well for gcc, glibc,
    > and binutils, and it would solve the generated files problem nicely

    Agreed. I started to hack on this awhile back. Most of it isn't very
    hard -- a mere matter of duplicating the source tree topology and
    putting a makefile into each build dir, with a bit of VPATH magic in
    Rules.make -- but a few details with dependencies eventually drove me
    up the wall and I moved on.

    One interesting thing about my efforts (such as they were) is that I
    got make-in-given-directory almost for free. Instead of merely copying
    makefiles from srcdir to builddir, I put a standard template in each
    build dir:

    SRCDIR := {fill in with script} # corresponding src dir
    VPATH := $(SRCDIR)
    TOPDIR := {fill in with script} # ../../..
    TOPSRC := {fill in with script} # what we think of as TOPDIR
    include $(TOPSRC)/.config
    include $(SRCDIR)/Makefile

    or something like that.

    Peter

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.044 / U:0.236 seconds]