    SubjectRe: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than on
    Linus Torvalds <> writes:
    > Well, CLONE_PARENT is already there. And has been for a long time.

    And it works fine. I've modified LinuxThreads in glibc-2.1.3 to use
    it (patch at <>). The remaining
    loose end I have to address is to do with the setting the scheduling
    parameters for the newly created thread specified in the call the
    pthread_create(). (The scheduling parameters need to be set by the
    time pthread_create() returns, and also by the time the new thread's
    start function gets called. This can be solved by calling
    sched_setscheduler() both in the parent thread and the child thread,
    but then both threads need to wait until the other one has finished
    making the call, and the two sched_setscheduler() syscalls tend to
    contend with each other on SMP, so the performance isn't wonderful.)

    > The CLONE_WAITPID patches I don't remember, so please refresh my memory
    > about what they look like, and why they were needed in the first place..

    POSIX says that any thread can do a wait() et al. for a child process.
    But Linux currently thinks that a child processes is a child of a
    particular thread, and so only that thread can wait() for it.

    David Wragg

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.021 / U:2.344 seconds]