SubjectRe: dontdiff has unfixable problems
On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 01:48:34PM -0500, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:
> This came up at the kbuild birds-of-a-feather meeting at Linux
> World Expo last week.
> Here's my thought for 2.5: all, and I mean *all*, generated files
> should match a small *documented* set of patterns. Something on
> the order of:
> -X '*.[osi]' -X 'Generated/'

so which are autogenerated files ? only those generated during the build
process or things like drivers/char/defkeymap.c as well ?

> This would enable "make clean" to be small and simple. More importantly,
> it would allow people to create "dontdiff" files, .cvsignore files,
> and any other source management files that they want.

I think it would be more important to allow building outside of the source
directory - it seems to work reasonably well for gcc, glibc, and binutils,
and it would solve the generated files problem nicely (not that having
consistent names wouldn't be nice as well).