SubjectRe: dontdiff has unfixable problems
On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 01:48:34PM -0500, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:
> This came up at the kbuild birds-of-a-feather meeting at Linux
> World Expo last week.
>
> Here's my thought for 2.5: all, and I mean *all*, generated files
> should match a small *documented* set of patterns. Something on
> the order of:
>
> -X '*.[osi]' -X 'Generated/'

so which are autogenerated files ? only those generated during the build
process or things like drivers/char/defkeymap.c as well ?

> This would enable "make clean" to be small and simple. More importantly,
> it would allow people to create "dontdiff" files, .cvsignore files,
> and any other source management files that they want.

I think it would be more important to allow building outside of the source
directory - it seems to work reasonably well for gcc, glibc, and binutils,
and it would solve the generated files problem nicely (not that having
consistent names wouldn't be nice as well).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.083 / U:0.088 seconds]