SubjectRe: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than on native Linux"
On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 11:15:09PM +0200, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> yodaiken@fsmlabs.com wrote:
> > This call shifts delivered signal numbers up so that
> > "special" POSIX signals can be delivered to a process.
>
> Kind of a SIGOVERKILL ... yes, that could work.

Cool name. And it makes a kind of poetic sense that
kill(pid,SIGOVERKILL) should de-POSIX a process.

> > Make it a root pthread daemon.
>
> So you need a privileged launcher or VMS-style privileged libraries.
> Oh dear ...

Why not? Better than having it in the kernel. Think of Pthreads executables
as misc type.

> > Make SIG_KILL still work as usual, with the CLONE_PTHREAD flag
> > causing all children to be killed too, but with SUSPEND etc
> > coming in raw.
>
> Hmm, if you can do this, why do you need to special-case the other
> non-blockable signals then ?

SIG_KILL is the simplest case. No synchronization, no wierd I/O to
worry about ...