SubjectRe: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than onnative
On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
> The kernel has fast lightweight threading. How you map user space threads and
> co-routines onto this is really between the app and libs. In fact I'd argue
> strongly that an app _must_ be able to provide its own strategy routine or
> some kind of hints to the lib

Alan, all this userspace stuff is external to the original discussion,
i.e. really irrelevant. The original claim made by Juergen is that native
UW7 lwp are faster than native Linux clone'd tasks. I.e. kernel objects vs
kernel objects comparison. Userspace threads can be fast or slow, I don't
care as long as we discuss the kernel lightweight threads.

And I don't believe that UW7 lwp creation is 1000x faster than Linux
CLONE_VM task creation, until he can prove it.

Regards,
Tigran

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:37    [W:0.137 / U:5.420 seconds]