SubjectRe: 2.4.0-test6 memory leak?
Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Forever shall I be. wrote:
>
> > Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> >
> > > where do you see a leak there? I don't see absolutely anything wrong there
> > > at all. Everything works as expected, find / should indeed use a lot of
> > > buffers as it brings a lot of metadata in. Which bit seems suspicious to
> > > you?

> > Notice the increase in used ram. This ram is not being free'd as needed
> > to make room for other programs (for instance, if I wanted to run a 190mb
> > program, I would not be able to), and it's not being taken by some other
> > process which is eating ram... I'd say that's pretty suspicious ;)
>
> Not at all. You need to learn how Linux (and generally UNIX) works.
You're a few years too late for that line to work ;)

> Memory is there to be used - why should give it back if it may be needed
> again soon.
I fail to see how holding my entire directory structure in memory (well,
not the entire thing -- the second find went just as slow) for 15 days is
useful... especially when I'm attempting to run programs and watching them
get killed because there's no more memory left..

> Memory used by various caches created by subsystems is not usually
> "given back" unless memory pressure demands so.
Right. But pressure did demand so, and give back it did not. The memory
is lost until a reboot... processes are never given a chance to use it.
Somehow, I don't think this is the way it should be.

--
Zinx Verituse <zinx@linuxfreak.com> :(){ :|:&};:
gpg (id 921B1558) (fp 5746 73A1 2184 A27A 9EC0 EDCC E132 BCEF 921B 1558)