    SubjectRe: [OT] Disgusting, completely disgusting
    The www.linuxadvocacy.org FQDN is taken from the 'org' address
    space and it is my understanding that '.org' names are for
    _non_profit_ organizations. Clearly, someone who uses this
    FQDN to redirect you to 'datahelpers.com' is doing so to increase
    their company's profits.

    I don't know the correct contact with the domain name registry
    folks but perhaps we can point out this abuse of a domain name.
    At a minimum, datahelpers should be admonished to not use the
    name as a shortcut to their website and, perhaps, the name
    could be stripped from datahelpers.com.

    -Ben McCann

    "Mike A. Harris" wrote:

    > I believe the URL will tell all.
    >
    > http://www.linuxadvocacy.org
    >
    > This is simply disturbing me to no end. An outrageous and
    > blatent abuse of the Linux community. Not to mention an abuse
    > of Linus's trademark.
    >
    > Someone asked me for an advocacy site, and off the top of my head
    > I provided some URL's. The above one was obviously wrong as it
    > is NOT an advocacy site, but nothing more than a domain squatter
    > redirecting pages to a site that has completely nothing to do
    > with Linux advocacy.
    >
    > I'm VERY PISSED about this. Someone out there could make a very
    > decent Linux advocacy site, and that is the ideal name for
    > it. Instead, some ASSHOLE has SWALLOWED the damned domain.
    >
    > Can someone do something about this? I know if I had registered
    > "intel.com" before Intel did, that my ass would be in a
    > sling. Why is it not the same the other way around?
    >
    > All I can say is "time to bring out Guido, the big mean penguin
    > with the gold tooth and baseball bat".
    >
    > TTYL
    >
    > --
    > Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
    > Computer Consultant GNU advocate
    > Capslock Consulting Open Source advocate
    >
    > Try out Red Hat Linux today: http://www.redhat.com
    > ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-6.2/
    >
    > -

    Ben McCann Indus River Networks
    31 Nagog Park
    Acton, MA, 01720
    email: bmccann@indusriver.com web: www.indusriver.com
    phone: (978) 266-8140 fax: (978) 266-8111