SubjectRe: abstract file (support multi-part)

> Eurgh. Do it userside: the kernel provides enough of an API to do it.

No it doesn't. That's the point.

Unless I'm mistaken, in which case would you be so kind as to point me at
an example of userspace code which accesses HFS forks, NTFS streams,
as well as HPFS and BeFS EAs, without resorting to direct manipulation of
the device (hence rendering any compatibility with filesystem
implementation changes null and void)?

If so, then I'm happy, because this is what I want. If not, then it'd seem
you're arguing against the very concept of this, not the method of
interfacing with filesystems which support it already.

While "Are streams/forks a good idea?" is a very interesting topic with
plenty of arguments both for and against, it isn't the topic at
hand.

--
Mo McKinlay Chief Software Architect inter/open Labs
GnuPG Key: pub 1024D/76A275F9 2000-07-22 Mo McKinlay <mmckinlay@gnu.org>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:37    [W:0.039 / U:22.248 seconds]