SubjectRe: abstract file (support multi-part)
Date
James Sutherland writes:

> NTFS's streams are not HFS resource forks, although they can be used to
> emulate the latter if needed.

NTFS's streams are exactly like HFS resource forks. Old HFS filesystems
had an implementation limit of 2, but HFS+ (used by MacOS X) lets you
have as many as you like.

> Similarly, NTFS streams are NOT OS/2 HPFS EA's - NTFS supports
> them as well, and they are not related in any way to streams.

I could almost agree with that. Really, you just get a second
stream namespace. One can emulate the other until you hit a
filesystem with both.

Don't forget that XFS, UDF, JFS, and NFSv4 have this type
of feature too. (JFS was hacked to support OS/2)

> Three completely different systems: HFS resource forks, NTFS streams,
> HPFS/NTFS Extended Attributes. The first has already been dealt with;
> the second has a very obvious solution. The latter needs a bit more
> thought - if we really need to support this rather odd HPFS feature?
>
> Apart from anything else, whatever solution you take for NTFS will
> end up being mapped (in userspace if necessary) into my approach
> for almost every use of NTFS streams. Why reinvent the wheel?

OK, time to be really sick.

You have a drive f: with a file "bar" in the current directory.
You have a directory "f" in the current directory on the current drive.
Directory "f" has an EA called "bar".
Directory "f" has a stream called "bar".
In the same place as "f", you have a file named "f:bar".

BTW, somebody go see if Viro needs CPR.

I say we find out how the _native_ NT API deals with all this shit.
By that I don't mean Win32, because that is just a subsystem sitting
on top of the native API.

I'd ask the guys at www.sysinternals.com, but seeing the crap they
wrote about Linux having fundamental limitations sure doesn't look
encouraging. Any non-hostile NT kernel experts?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:37    [W:1.055 / U:0.008 seconds]