SubjectRe: [patch] DTR/DSR hardware handshake support for 2.0/2.2/2.4
Date
Followup to:  <200008021351.JAA05979@trampoline.thunk.org>
By author: "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 18:35:22 +0200
> From: Martin Schenk <schenkm@ping.at>
>
> As I needed support for DTR/DSR hardware handshake to communicate with
> a serial printer (and the "wire RTS/CTS to DTR/DSR" tip from the
> serial-HOWTO works fine for a demo, but is not applicable for a few
> thousand POS terminals *gg*), I implemented this functionality.
>
> Yilch. This is specialized enough that I'd much rather this *not* go
> into the kernel. Next thing we know, someone will want a DTR/CD
> handshaking mechanism, etc.,etc.
>
> This should probably be a private kernel patch, or (much more strongly
> suggested) that you just get specially wired RS-232 cables. This is in
> fact a very standard thing to do, and you can order cables from Black
> Box or some other company specializing selling cables which connect
> crufty legacy hardware.

DTR/DSR is the most common handshake mechanism for RS-232-B (as
opposed to RS-232-C and RS-232-D) devices. This feature has been
requested on and off for the last five years. I think it's
worthwhile.

-hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt