    SubjectRe: FW: Crypto
    On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, David Woodhouse wrote:

    >Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 17:45:50 +0100
    >From: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>
    >To: David Moffatt <DMoffatt@narus.com>
    >Cc: 'Cindy Cohn' <Cindy@McGlashan.com>, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
    >Subject: Re: FW: Crypto
    >

    >DMoffatt@narus.com said:
    >> Remember the problem is not just the US laws. It is the French laws,
    >> The Russian laws, etc... (Until recently the French even kept out 56
    >> bit DES)
    >
    >> So the question boils down to: What is the end goal?
    >
    >It would seem that some people's goal is to restrict the movement of Free
    >Software to the lowest common denominator of all legislation anywhere in the
    >world. That means banning crypto, banning stuff which is patented in the US
    >but explicitly not permitted to be patented under EU rules, etc.
    >
    >Follow it through and you'll end up banning code containing swearwords, too
    >- although nobody from such a country has yet been shortsighted or arrogant
    >enough, like the American contingent usually is, to think that their own
    >legislation should affect the rest of the world and demand that we do so.
    >
    >I don't want that, thank you very much. If it makes technical sense for
    >crypto and other code to be integrated with the kernel, then we should do
    >so, and let those who live under insane restrictions do something about it
    >themselves - either by overthrowing their government, or more likely by
    >downloading the code, stripping out the parts which their particular
    >legislation doesn't like, and putting that version up for FTP within their
    >country.

    You've got my vote. ;o) I believe that the 2.5 kernel will
    start including crypto. The US law changes happened too late for
    it to happen in 2.3. We'll just have to wait and see...

    --
    Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
    Computer Consultant GNU advocate

    ... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore
    strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.022 / U:32.120 seconds]