    SubjectRe: linux-2.4-test & innd
    On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Henrik Størner wrote:
    > On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 10:31:21PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > Can you please double-check exactly which kernel started doing this? I
    > > have some mixed reports about the "test1-ac" series kernels doing this
    > > too.
    >
    > A pure 2.4.0-test1 kernel also has the bug. It is actually quite easy
    > to test for:
    >
    > * fire up the kernel and innd
    > * inject a couple of articles using rnews
    > * note the numbers listed for the newsgroup in the active file
    > * restart innd and check the active file again
    >
    > If it has the bug, the active file will forget all updates after inn
    > is restarted. This happens with 2.4.0-test1 also.

    I don't know if it is related, but I've noticed a serious bug
    in filemap.c while playing with my new VM patch.

    It seems that something in filemap.c (add_to_page_cache_unique?)
    is calling lru_cache_add for pages which are _already_ on a page
    list...

    In my new VM patch, this is caught by the DEBUG_ADD_PAGE in the
    lru_cache_add function, while in the vanilla Linux 2.4 tree,
    this could/should lead to a corruption of the page lru list,
    with all bad consequences it brings with it (list corruption,
    maybe stray pointers, maybe a memory leak and maybe even data
    corruption or data loss).

    regards,

    Rik
    --
    "What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
    -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

    http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/