SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?
Rogier Wolff wrote:

> Right. And I'm suggesting that an access method can and SHOULD be
> designed that works exactly the same on filesystems that support it and
> on filesystems that don't.

That seems more or less like not actually
supporting streams at all.

> Right. It's not the actual NAMES of the HFS tricks that I'm proposing
> to keep. I'm saying that we should try to make something generic which
> will allow NTFS named streams and HFS resources to both be accessed in
> similar ways, and also in such a way that you almost don't notice it
> when you unpack it on a normal posix filesystem.

Why? Do posix FSes care about EAs?

> The .Appledoube/myfile hack satisfies that requirement.

In a very ugly way -- sort of like using that "tire
in a can" to fix a flat. Yeah, it plugs the hole. How
is "mv" supposed to work with ".LinuxDouble" directories?

> As Apples have only one resource,

Mac OS X supports arbitrary streams.

> this "myfile" would need to be a directory with the
> stream-names in there for NTFS, or the other way around, the filename
> should be a directory with the resources in there.

Cripes. Nextstep again. Let's make everything look like a
posix FS, but make everything else about filesystems and
applications look like RiscOS or NextStep. That's actually
_more_ disruptive.

If the streams access method we decide on is a _superset_
of posix Fs requirements, what's the problem? Posix apps
still get what they expect. So extending the namespace
to provide streams support seems like a reasonable idea.

-Michael

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.302 / U:0.272 seconds]