    SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?
    On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 01:49:34PM -0700, torvalds@transmeta.com wrote:
    > In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0008121047190.14835-100000@duckman.distro.conectiva>,
    > Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> wrote:

    > >> Not really. Directories aren't the same thing,
    > >> and don't serve the same purpose. They're _similar_,
    > >> but not identical.
    > >
    > >So what is The Big Difference(tm) that make file streams
    > >so much better than directories and so much different?
    >
    > I'll talk really slowly.
    >
    > HFS has resource forks. They are not directories. Linux cannot handle
    > them well.
    >
    > I'm all for handling HFS resource forks. It's called "interoperability".

    [...]

    Real "interoperability" for me would mean network EA aware
    filesystems. Since we are NFS [auto]mounting FrameMaker,
    StarOffice & Co from a server, EAs would be lost even if
    the server had an EA aware local filesystem.

    Maybe could it be a useful extension to the forecoming
    NfsV4 implementation...

    --
    Thierry