SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?
On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 01:49:34PM -0700, torvalds@transmeta.com wrote:
> In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0008121047190.14835-100000@duckman.distro.conectiva>,
> Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> wrote:

> >> Not really. Directories aren't the same thing,
> >> and don't serve the same purpose. They're _similar_,
> >> but not identical.
> >
> >So what is The Big Difference(tm) that make file streams
> >so much better than directories and so much different?
>
> I'll talk really slowly.
>
> HFS has resource forks. They are not directories. Linux cannot handle
> them well.
>
> I'm all for handling HFS resource forks. It's called "interoperability".

[...]

Real "interoperability" for me would mean network EA aware
filesystems. Since we are NFS [auto]mounting FrameMaker,
StarOffice & Co from a server, EAs would be lost even if
the server had an EA aware local filesystem.

Maybe could it be a useful extension to the forecoming
NfsV4 implementation...

--
Thierry