    SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?
    [replying to my self *sigh*]
    I wrote:
    >Files with alternate streams look exactly like normal files except
    >that they also have a S_IFCOMPLEX flag and that one can use them as
    >directories. When accessing such a file as a directory, it should
    >act as a separate filesystem of its own, so that renames and links
    >work inside this filesystem, but not outside it:

    This introduces one new thing which is really incompatible with
    POSIX filesystems, a file that can also act as a directory.

    What is the basic reason why this directory can't live in a special
    directory called ".fork"? So instead of doing "cd file-with-forks"
    one does "cd .fork/file-with-forks"?

    That would work on ext2, NFS or any POSIX like filesystem.

    The disadvantage is that there will be a magic directory called
    .fork (with the same permissions as the parent directory I suppose)
    which can't be renamed or deleted. The subdirectories inside
    the .fork-directory would have the same permissions as the
    corresponding file and would have the same limitations as mounted
    filesystems, no hardlinks outside of the directory. And if one
    deletes or renames the parent, the .fork directory follows.

    /Christer