SubjectRE: NTFS-like streams?
Date
Michael Rothwell wrote:
> > > myfile
> > > and
> > > myfile/resource
> > >

> > hang on, Am I just going mad or does this not seem really sensible
> - i.e. if we
> > allow the existence of an entity that is both a file and a
> directory, it would
> > be a sane generalisation of both HFS's forks and NTFS's streams...?
> > Or. alternatively I could be going mad.... ;)
>

> You're not going mad. But files w/named streams are not
> directories. Open a file in vi. Open a directory in vi.
> The latter is meaningless, right? But if you open a file
> with streams in vi, it works.

hmm. What I meant was an entity that has both data and directory information
attached (I'm not a file system hacker, so this'll be in abstract terms..). lets
call this entity a dfile for example purposes. say I create a dfile 'rob1'. I
can open it in vi and edit it as if it was a normal file. I can also do 'vi
rob1/teststream' and I'll be creating a new file teststream, that's inside rob1.
If I was going to implement this in a standard unix-filesystem way, I'd have a
special directory entry, but with the 1st inode (or an inode labelled with a
'magic character', say 0x07) pointing to the data. then doing 'vi rob1' would
work as if rob1 was a soft link pointing to the inode with the data.
Thinking about it, it could be pretty icky - it'd be effectively be like the
below (if it was possible)

mkdir("rob1");
creat("rob1/\0x07", <whatever> );
link("rob1/\0x07","rob1"); //would add soft link info to the directory info

..not that I'm saying you would implement it on ext2.. but hopefully that
clarifies what I mean a bit.. hmm...

Rob Taylor

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.184 / U:0.348 seconds]