    SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?
    Rogier Wolff wrote:
    > Michael Rothwell wrote:
    > > Rogier Wolff wrote:
    > >
    > > > However, when
    > > >
    > > > myfile
    > > >
    > > > starts to refer both to a file and a directory, that's when I get
    > > > upset.
    > >

    > > It's not a file and a directory. It's a file with named streams.
    > Fine. Then it's a file with named streams.
    > If both
    > myfile
    > and
    > myfile/resource
    > become valid strings to pass to the "open" syscall then I get upset.

    Why? Programs that don't use streams won't ever try to do it, a
    nd won't even query to see if there _are_ streams on a file.

    > Fine now I'm using your terminology. Does that help you understand
    > what I'm trying to say? I think you're just playing dumb. That doesn't
    > help a discussion.

    I'm not playing dumb. It seems like people making the
    "implement as directories" arguments actually don't want
    any streams support at all. I'm arguing honestly: I want
    streams support for filesystems that use them. I don't
    want to break existing programs to get it. I think a
    namespace extension is the proper way to do it. I
    _think_ I understand what you're trying to say, and
    it's this:

    "streams are stupid and I don't want linux to support them"

    Please correct me if I am wrong. I am _not_ just trying to flame you.

    > The reason I get upset is that old utilities like "tar" will no longer
    > work. Too many things won't work. So, my suggestion is to stay away
    > from that design.

    Tar can work. Its format supports EAs. The tools may not, but that's

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.022 / U:98.084 seconds]