SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?
Horst von Brand wrote:

> > There's plenty of other uses for them besides icons, anyway :>
>
> Such as? The _only_ use discussed all over tha place each time this comes
> up (nad it does come up each two years or so) is icons.

I wish people would shut up about the icons.

[prepares mail server for flameage]

"Forks" or "Streams" or whatever already
exist in a number of commercially
prevalent filesystems. It would be nice
to have Linux work with them well; ergo,
it would be nice to have Linux support
some standard method of exporting streams
in some way to make them user-accessible
without breaking existing unix FS semantics,
and without making streams in FSes that
support them hard/silly/etc to use.

Linus' suggestion of a namespace augmentation
-- allowing "/" after a filename -- fits the
bill.

Once we have a way to access streams in NTFS,
HFS, HPFS, etc., there still will not be any
streams/EAs in Ext2, Ext3, or ReiserFS (current
favorites for "linux default FS" depending on
who you ask).

Maybe in Linux 8.2, the default filesystem will
support streams. But until then, application
designers will not use them, because they :

(1) probably won't be there
(2) won't be portable to other Unix OSes

So, to echo Linus, the issue is one of
implementation, not icons, tarfs, etc.

-M

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.053 / U:1.252 seconds]