SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?

# I'm not referring to new implementation, but to existing one (by example
# a mounted HFS or NTFS).

So was I; the HFS and NTFS filesystem drivers don't understand the
information, and it's ignored, to the best of my knowledge. Even if they
did understand it, it's not propagated down via VFS to userland. And if it
was, cpio/tar and so forth don't understand it.

# I think it's a weird idea to backup or copy only a part of the data.

If you want to copy NTFS, do it on an NT system...

The same applies to ACLs on NTFS, which wouldn't be preserved by a
tar/cpio on a mounted FS under Linux either. There's just no APIs for
dealing with it [yet].

--
Mo McKinlay Chief Software Architect inter/open Labs
GnuPG Key: pub 1024D/76A275F9 2000-07-22 Mo McKinlay <mmckinlay@gnu.org>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.131 / U:0.284 seconds]