    SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?
    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Aug 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:
    > >
    > > You know what tar(1) will do with you for that, don't you? Same ->st_ino
    > > with different contents... And unlike procfs, here tar is a Reasonable
    > > Thing(tm).
    >
    > But "tar" won't even _see_ the thing. Unless "tar" starts to know about
    > S_IFCOMPLEX. In which case it's a non-issue.

    Linus,

    the HFS guys made a point of making the filesystem capable of being
    tar-copied. I think that this is a useful feature. It's not that we
    can't change tar: We have the source. It's that lots of Unix programs
    make assumptions (similar to what tar does) about what a directory
    tree looks like. Now you've never wanted to use tar to copy a
    /procfs. But it works on NFS.

    So, (I must've missed the first part of this discussion) what's wrong
    with the HFS way of doing things?

    ~/myfile (data fork)
    ~/.resource/myfile (resource fork)

    This may not be "generic" enough for abitrarily named forks. Think of
    something that IS. It's not all that hard:

    ~/myfile (data/default fork)
    ~/.streams/myfile/resource (resource fork)
    ~/.streams/myfile/Icon (icon fork)
    ~/.streams/myfile/default (hardlink to ~/myfile )

    Advantages:

    - Tar-copyable.
    - Unix utilities don't see anything odd.
    - ls will show you just the "files" (unless -a or -R).

    Disadvantages:

    - The resource fork is a bit "far" away from the data
    fork. (myfile/data and myfile/resource are indeed closer)

    Anything I've missed?

    Roger.

    * Common sense is the collection of *
    ****** prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -- Albert Einstein ********