SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?
On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, James Sutherland wrote:
> > > BTW, "same inode" thing is obviously wrong, but who says that we
> > > must go for that?
> >
> > That whole concept had me reaching for the sickbag. I'd just drop the
> > whole "files == directories == mount-points == some sort of magic thing
> > which breaks everything" crap.
> FWIW, the only part that makes me sick is "files == directories". _That_
> sucks. "mountpoint" is not a problem. "breaks everything" is mostly due to
> reusing the inumber and I _really_ don't see any reasons to do that.
> Now, having the names that travel along _is_ sick.

From NT's point of view, they are just similarly named files, joined at
the inode (i.e. common permissions, [acm]time etc). We can support this
under Linux as well, at least on NTFS, without any real silliness creeping
in - and the VFS needn't know anything about this (it will just see some
similar looking files). Renaming one component of such a file will break
this join; renaming the other components will reunite them. On ext2 etc.,
they are just normal files.

Nice, consistent behaviour across filesystems, no user-space breakage,
minimal user confusion... The only drawback I can see it that this isn't
quite how NT does it. That may not be a bad point for most ppl here :-)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.151 / U:1.216 seconds]