SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?
Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Aug 2000, Rob Landley wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure how much of the windows registry is pure fundamental evil
> > and how much of it is just really badly implemented. But I -AM- pretty
> > sure that once you hit that point, this becomes a user space issue. If
> > gnome wants a file full of data attaching properties like icons to
> > whatever objects it wants to create to represent files and such in the
>
> <taking the hat of kernel hacker off>
> <putting the hat of sysadmin on>
> ... then GNOME can take a hike. No matter what mechanisms are there. It
> just should not be done. If you want a program with delusions of OShood -
> fine, but some of us just fscking had it with EMACS. And that's completely

Okay, per-program ways of doing this that don't share code and databases
are a bad idea, I agree. But that still doesn't mean it can't be done
in userspace via generic shared libraries, or that keeping track of this
information in kernel space is necessarily the way to go. Are you
objecting to the lack of code re-use, or to the fact that too much is
being done in user space?

Per-user resource forks in the filesystem complicate ownership enough
that they're just BOUND to have some sort of subtle security problem.
(How do quotas apply to resource forks? How do write permissions apply
to resource forks?)

I think doing it right in the kernel is a LOT more complicated than it
seems. But as always, I could be wrong...

Rob

(P.S. Every desktop I've ever seen has had delusions of OShood. It
seems to be in the nature of desktops. The two solutions seem to be
either to live with it, or to gratuitously move desktop functionality
into the kernel.)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.149 / U:1.044 seconds]