SubjectRe: eth0: Something Wicked happened
On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, A. Hook wrote:

> Ok here is the situation, my web server just crashed with the following
> scrolling on the screen:
> Something Wicked happened!
> and in my /var/log/messages file I see this repeated over and over:
> Aug 10 10:50:09 www3 kernel: eth0: Something Wicked happened! 000a.
> Aug 10 10:50:09 www3 kernel: eth0: Something Wicked happened! 0009.

Others have reported these as well. I do not know what is going on.

Most seem to have worked around the problem by moving the card, either to
a different slot in the same machine or swapping cards with a different
machine. Magically the card then starts working (== the problem doesn't
show).

Have a look at
http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html

On that webpage there is an errata for the rhine, 000a/0009 would indicate
a transmit error (Transmit aborted because of excessive collisions). So
you may want to check the network (cable? switch? duplex setting on the
switch vs what is autodetected by the card?)

> I only have one NIC but I have 2 IPs attached to it. The NIC is a
> D-Link 530TX. I have seen this discussed in the mail archives but I
> haven't found the solution yet. Could somebody help me or point me in
> the right direction? Or should I just pop an additional NIC in the
> machine and bind the 2nd IP to that 2nd NIC?

It's certainly something to test.

> I am using Red Hat 6.2 with kernel version 2.2.14-5.0smp. The machine

On the page mentioned above there is a driver that is updated from the one
in 2.2.14. You may want to try that. You need the via-rhine.c and the
pci-scan.[ch] & kern_compat.h. Detailed instructions can be found there.

Compiling it as a module means that you do not have to replace your kernel
or reboot. Save the old module binary to quickly be able to switch back
in case there is trouble.

For me on a RH system:
% cp via-rhine.o /lib/modules/...
% /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown eth0
% rmmod via-rhine
% /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup eth0
(most of the time when I do this my ssh connections are not lost :)

If you solve this I'm interested in hearing how.

/Urban

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.072 / U:0.108 seconds]