    SubjectRe: linux-ipsec: RE: [OFFTOPIC]Re: FW: Crypto: [PsuedoOfftopic]: Crypto Offload
    On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 09:07:30PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Followup to: <3988EA07.F804D16B@pobox.com>
    > By author: "Michael T. Babcock" <mikebabcock@pobox.com>
    > In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
    > >
    > > I think the agreed-upon best place for this type of work is in openssl, the
    > > common denominator library for encryption.
    >
    > This doesn't work for IPSec, or the loopback crypto device, etc, etc.
    > We do need an in-kernel API as well.

    There was some talk about making a userspace and kernelspace versions
    of libgcrypt, to come out of the gpg people in .de (Werner Koch and
    friends). This would also have support for hardware crypto, available
    both from userspace and kernelspace. Last I had heard, they had made
    a libgcrypt that called gpg, rather than a gpg that called
    libgcrypt... duh.