SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?

Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
> Kernel part really depends on such mapping, so IMO thinking about
> that part is a waste of time until the userland issues are really
> well-understood.

Al,

After rethinking, I am of the opinion that this should be implemented
via a special file util that calls the ioctl() interface for a specific
file and a published IOCTL #define for user space programs. The
underlying FS's could then map the attribute info on a case by case
basis by file. This does sound like something that's architecturally
unnatural to Linux, with a ton of crap to deal with in userspace to
provide like semantics to Windows 2000. a simple ioctl() based util for
folks who want to create and manage NTFS style attributes on Linux
systems would get the job done without breaking Linux, and allow folks
to use this functionality. They would have to change their code to read
and write the attributes, which is the only disadvantage.

:-)

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.237 / U:0.064 seconds]