SubjectRe: devfs / eth micro-problems
   Date: 	Thu, 10 Aug 2000 05:03:07 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl

(i) People complain that with devfs compiled into the kernel
(but not in use) mounting by uuid or label fails.
And indeed, /proc/partitions uses these strange long
devfs names when devfs is compiled in.
(One might change /proc/partitions to give both names,
or teach mount the correspondence, or teach mount to
use mknod and ignore the kernel names, or ...
No doubt it is easiest to tell people not to compile
devfs into the kernel if they do not use it.)

I'm inclined to say that the best way to fix this is to teach mount (and
e2fprogs) that if the name listed in /proc/partitions doesn't exist, to
try searching /dev for the major/minot number listed in /proc/partitions.

(ii) I noticed recently one some machine that the two
ethernet cards had interchanged names. And indeed,
if I am not mistaken the 2.4.0-test2 change to eth_setup
causes the familiar ether=0,0,eth1 boot parameter to
assign the eth1 name to the first detected card.
I am inclined to consider this a buglet -
it is a bit inconvenient if one has to test kernel version
in the boot scripts.

I'd tend to agree. Can you say a bit more about the change to
eth_setup (not being familiar with that section of code).

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.070 / U:0.312 seconds]