    SubjectRe: Definitions

    I think Redhat has done a stellar job of defending, supporting, developing
    and distributing free (see GNU) software. I think they often wait for
    three reasons:

    (1) stability -- they don't want to update a lot of crap and break
    everything too often

    (2) licensing -- they support free software, particularly GPL software.

    (3) standards -- they make minor kernel patches themselves, but typically
    wait for a feature to be blessed before inclusing it, as opposed to
    TurboLinux and SuSE.

    -M

    Mike A. Harris wrote:
    > David Woodhouse wrote:
    >
    > >Secondly, I really don't understand why Red Hat should give a flying
    > >wossname which filesystem their customers use. If anything, they should
    > >want to give customers a _wider_ choice, to increase their brand's
    > >attractiveness.
    >
    > I agree..
    >
    > Without even attempting to ask anyone at Red Hat, I'll venture a
    > guess that they will include every available filesystem that
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > patch my own kernel, and don't use the default distribution
    > kernel, so any dist coming with or without ReiserFS would result
    > in me NOT having it unless Linus accepts it mainstream.
    >
    > I'm sure a number of others feel the same.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.019 / U:31.992 seconds]