SubjectRe: Definitions
On 8/10/00, 6:38:43 AM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> wrote
regarding Re: Definitions :

> hans@reiser.to said:
> > This is hilarious.
> > The problem Redhat faces that inspires their opposition is that they
> > know that if reiserfs goes in, the US market will go the way the
> > European market has, and most of them will never go back even if ext3
> > is later performance effective. Why RedHat doesn't just help ReiserFS
> > rather than fight it, well, this is the puzzle to me.

> To be honest, I'm a little confused by this mail.

> For a start, Red Hat would appear to have nothing to do with this. Linus
> makes these decisions.

> There was a brief period, a few weeks ago, where Alan was maintaining an
-ac
> series in Linus' absence, and he quite sensibly didn't accept any major
new
> stuff - he certainly refused to accept mine. The situation has now
reverted
> to normal. Code submitted to Linus may or may not go in, but nobody who
> works for Red Hat can get in the way without subverting Transmeta's mail
> servers.

> Hans, when was the last time the ReiserFS code was prepared as a patch in
> the form that Linus prefers, and mailed directly to him? From vague
memory,
> I think the MTD code went in on about the tenth such submission - so
please
> list _all_ dates on which you've done so.

It has been some time since a reiserfs patch was cc'd to linus. 3.6.12
(for release soon) should have our endian issues fixed (journal.c was not
endian clean) and some other fixes. NFS still won't be resolved, but we
do have a working patch for it (still needs cleanup though). After a few
days of public testing, I think 3.6.12 should go along to Linus (without
the NFS fixes), we'll see.

As for the memory issues, Rik is right, they are important. Andi Kleen
provided a good description of why they should not be show stoppers
though. Every day, practical use is still possible without the memory
fixes, even though they would make the system better behaved (and most
likely faster) as a whole.

-chris

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.270 / U:0.048 seconds]