SubjectRe: Definitions
Date

hans@reiser.to said:
> This is hilarious.
> The problem Redhat faces that inspires their opposition is that they
> know that if reiserfs goes in, the US market will go the way the
> European market has, and most of them will never go back even if ext3
> is later performance effective. Why RedHat doesn't just help ReiserFS
> rather than fight it, well, this is the puzzle to me.

To be honest, I'm a little confused by this mail.

For a start, Red Hat would appear to have nothing to do with this. Linus
makes these decisions.

There was a brief period, a few weeks ago, where Alan was maintaining an -ac
series in Linus' absence, and he quite sensibly didn't accept any major new
stuff - he certainly refused to accept mine. The situation has now reverted
to normal. Code submitted to Linus may or may not go in, but nobody who
works for Red Hat can get in the way without subverting Transmeta's mail
servers.

Hans, when was the last time the ReiserFS code was prepared as a patch in
the form that Linus prefers, and mailed directly to him? From vague memory,
I think the MTD code went in on about the tenth such submission - so please
list _all_ dates on which you've done so.

Secondly, I really don't understand why Red Hat should give a flying
wossname which filesystem their customers use. If anything, they should
want to give customers a _wider_ choice, to increase their brand's
attractiveness.

It was my understanding that the European market has largely opted to buy
SuSE because it's shipped from the Free World and is fully functional as a
secure system - including SSH and other such programs which weren't
permitted to be exported from the US.

Now I can see how _that_ could affect Red Hat's business, and hopefully now
the insane regulations are relaxed, RH7 will include the missing
functionality and they'll be on a level playing field for once.

I really don't understand why anyone could think that Red Hat would want to
'fight' the inclusion of ReiserFS, though.

If anything, I would guess¹ that they'd be including it in their shipped
version of the 2.4 kernel even if Linus doesn't, to ensure that no potential
customers go off and buy SuSE instead because they need ReiserFS.

--
dwmw2

¹ Yes, that's a guess. Those who are paying attention may have noticed that
I've been bought by Cygnus (i.e. Red Hat), but I am not speaking for them,
don't have anything to do with the distribution, and have no clue what's
going into it.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:1.205 / U:0.016 seconds]