SubjectRe: [patch?] Re: Do ramdisk exec's map direct to buffer cache?
On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 09:32:40AM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

> JFFS ought to be able to do XIP. You just need to make sure that the
> executable data you want are page-aligned, and remain that way over
> garbage-collection. Then munge the page tables to point at the relevant
> pages directly in the flash chips.

I don't understand that 'JFFS ought to be able to do XIP'.
There are some code for it?

> However, for obvious reasons XIP and compression are mutually exclusive. As
> flash is more expensive than RAM, nobody really seems that interested in XIP
> any more.
>
> Some nutter (prumpf) already implemented compression for JFFS, although it
> hasn't been merged yet.

Yes, we thought that the compressed file system is better than XIP.
But our client has an OS with XIP using Intel's FDI.
(If embedded linux is better, they will drop it)

we need to prove that the compressed fs is better than XIP
in point of performace and less use of memory.
Though we'll not use XIP, we must implemet it.

--
Joh, Yong-iL
E-mail: tolkien@nownuri.net tolkien@mizi.com