    SubjectRe: [Announce] Linux Test Project
    On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 05:03:15PM +0100, James Sutherland wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, David Mansfield wrote:
    > > Ideally, in the case where something bad but not as fatal as complete
    > > lockup happens, the test bed should diagnose the fault. This could be
    > > capturing the oops, or running ps -alx to see where it's stuck.
    > Yep. Using a serial console should enable reasonable information capture,
    > and the script can have a standard set of "failure responses" to run if a
    > test returns a failure of any sort?

    While I definately want to support serial consoles and network logging
    for large testing environments (like product testing), I also want LTP
    to work on a single system environment. I think that's important to
    have for the average Linux hacker. If Joe User finds a problem with in
    the kernel I want him to be able to run LTP on his box to get detailed
    testing information that someone else can analyze and use to solve the

    > > In all the cases where I've tested the kernel, it has been a matter of
    > > 'Here is the test which crashes the kernel, let's see if it crashes this
    > > one, too' and I just want to throw this into the consideration of how to
    > > best create a test harness.
    > Indeed. The other question is, how to handle deadlocks? I'd probably use a
    > serial console, being logged by another machine; if the machine dies, just
    > reboot, then have the machine resume testing where it left off.

    That would be the easy case. How do you reboot a locked machine over a
    serial console?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.020 / U:10.644 seconds]