SubjectCyrix MediaGX Bug
Date
Hay,

sorry, I am not yet a kernel hacker, but maybe I become one now. I use
2.2.16 with usb-backport (SuSE distribution) and a cyrix mediagx.

My problem is, I use a Cyrix Media GX with a 586 compiled kernel, and it is
unstable. Hardwareproblems should not be present 386 compiled kernel works
fine.
The problems always arizes, if the memory usages goes up.
The mashine stops totaly, no reaction on keyboard, network ...
I have no idea how to debug.

/proc/cpuinfo
root@ccs20:/proc > cat cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : CyrixInstead
cpu family : 5
model : 7
model name : Cyrix MediaGXtm MMXtm Enhanced
stepping : 4
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
sep_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu msr cx8 cmov 16 mmx cxmmx
bogomips : 59.39

It would be wonderfull, if you had an idea. I am searching around for a
couple of day now,
but I not even find a good documentation, which processortype I should use
for the Cyrix.
Suse distribution says, one should use a 386 kernel for Cyrix 686. One hand
I can not beleave,
on the other hand I need 586 for philips webcam to run

Thanks a lot
Detlef

Dr. Detlef Schmicker
Produktentwicklung
Grabenstr. 48
D-47057 Duisburg
fax: 0203 354053
E-mail: schmicker@physik.de

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.109 / U:0.196 seconds]