    SubjectInterface change: Now or later?

    Hi Linus,

    I'm writing the driver for the FireStream 50 and FireStream 155
    chips. (*)

    The cards that I own have a PHY chip that has a 16-bit interface to
    the SAR (main) chip.

    Current ATM SAR drivers have a routine to write PHY chip registers
    that has an 8-bit quantity for the value. Simply extending that is not
    good, as some SARs know the difference between writing 0012 and 12
    (the first is a 16-bit write the second an 8-bit write) we therefore
    need 8, 16, and 32-bit write routines to the phy devices.

    If this were done, I'd write my neat litty PHY-driver that would just
    use the 16-bit writes. And my SAR chip (FS50) would (as one of the
    first) support both 8-bit and 16-bit writes! Mitch (Current ATM
    maintainer) and I agree that this is the right way to go about this.

    I think it is best to change this interface ASAP (i.e. before 2.4).
    Mitch thinks it is best to wait for after 2.4 . I think this is
    wrong. What do you think? (Can you talk some sense into him? :-)

    Regards,

    Roger.

    (*) It's tranmitting and recieving packets (#). It's leaking memory
    like a firehose on full blast, but it works :-)

    (#) I can't "ping" yet, because I seem to be having a hardware failure
    that causes one direction to "not work".

    * Common sense is the collection of *
    ****** prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -- Albert Einstein ********