    SubjectRe: OOM in 2.2.14
    Date
    dbronaugh@linuxhelp.bc.ca (David Bronaugh) writes:
    > There should be a userland daemon to track free memory and, if it falls
    > below a critical level, add more swap.

    This suggestion comes up about once a year, and I have some code that
    implements such as "swap daemon". I must admit it is nearly two years
    since the last mention.

    Have a look for "swapd" available from

    http://www.alfie.demon.co.uk/download/

    The original code was written in 1993, and released in 1994 (on the
    next discussion). Minor tweaks have happened, but nothing major.
    I have never used it. A few have.

    If this really were the right approach, it would have become more widely
    adopted, with a little more kernel support.

    --
    `O O' | Nick.Holloway@pyrites.org.uk
    // ^ \\ | http://www.pyrites.org.uk/