    Date (David Bronaugh) writes:
    > There should be a userland daemon to track free memory and, if it falls
    > below a critical level, add more swap.

    This suggestion comes up about once a year, and I have some code that
    implements such as "swap daemon". I must admit it is nearly two years
    since the last mention.

    Have a look for "swapd" available from

    The original code was written in 1993, and released in 1994 (on the
    next discussion). Minor tweaks have happened, but nothing major.
    I have never used it. A few have.

    If this really were the right approach, it would have become more widely
    adopted, with a little more kernel support.

    `O O' |
    // ^ \\ |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.018 / U:1.332 seconds]