Date (David Bronaugh) writes:
> There should be a userland daemon to track free memory and, if it falls
> below a critical level, add more swap.

This suggestion comes up about once a year, and I have some code that
implements such as "swap daemon". I must admit it is nearly two years
since the last mention.

Have a look for "swapd" available from

The original code was written in 1993, and released in 1994 (on the
next discussion). Minor tweaks have happened, but nothing major.
I have never used it. A few have.

If this really were the right approach, it would have become more widely
adopted, with a little more kernel support.

`O O' |
// ^ \\ |