    SubjectRe: Kernel for P-II on P-I.
    Keith Owens wrote:
    > On Thu, 6 Jul 2000 10:34:47 +0200 (MEST),
    > (Rogier Wolff) wrote:
    > >A kernel compiled for P-II (or something like that) crashes without
    > >saying a thing on P-I. would it be an idea to print a message?
    > >("This kernel is incompatible with this processor")
    > AFAIK that is caused by gcc using instructions that exist on P-II but
    > not P-I, including instructions like conditional move (CMOVE).
    > Unfortunately those instructions are used everywhere, including in
    > printk. No way to get a message out without detecting the problem in
    > the real mode boot loader and using BIOS I/O.

    Knowing this I'd suggest that the few files that are needed to get the
    message out are compiled using the standard Pentium-instructions.

    The CPU generates an unimplemented instruction trap, right? Would it
    be doable to write a quick and dirty handler for that trap? (That's
    the method I used to get Xinu up and running on the LSI03).

    ** ** ** +31-15-2137555 **
    * Common sense is the collection of *
    ****** prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -- Albert Einstein ********

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.028 / U:101.316 seconds]