Subject[OT] Re: ext3-0.0.2e released
"Theodore Y. Ts'o" wrote:

> In practice, though, I'm not aware of any filesystem consistency checker
> since the days of Multics that could do this.

Windows 95/98 scandisk 8-)

Their implementation well documented (they need 3 lock levels), but very
slow (scandisk restarts from scratch if someone else writes to the disk)

The filesystem reduces metadata caching, and scandisk uses a special
interface for atomic read-fsck-write cycles. (conditional writes,
similar to the atomic instructions on most RISC cpus)

--
Manfred