SubjectRe: a joint letter on low latency and Linux
On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Let me point out a couple of examples which show just how difficult
> this "fast scheduling" business is, and why we should leave these
> things to RTLinux instead:
>
> - some (broken) motherboard/IDE chipsets will lock up hard if you take
> another interrupt while servicing the IDE interrupt. Hence, the
> default IDE driver does/did disable IRQs in its interrupt
> handler. This doesn't just foul up process latencies, it can kill

You then walk away form onboard host and use the three offboards that can
now parse interrupts. The chipsets allow quick test and get out if it is
not our interrupt.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.071 / U:0.400 seconds]