SubjectRe: VM in 2.2.17pre9 : a success ?
Date
> OK, I just uploaded it to http://www.surriel.com/patches/

Hi Rik,

I've just tested your patch on 2.2.17pre9 + andrea's GFP-race-fix-3.
It seems smart about which process to kill, and I can no longer hang my
system with mmap. I even tried several simultaneous mmap + malloc (hang
guaranted without the patch). I saw cool messages about mmap and malloc being
killed, preserving other processes such as syslogd and init.

Although I'm not for killing hungry processes, I think in this case this is
better than letting all the system die (or at least hang for hours). But I
don't know what this will lead to for daemons which use lots of mmaps.

BTW, I've noticed on your page an old patch related to mmap pages aging. What
was it intended to fix ? Could this help in the case of the MMAP_SHARED
problem ?

regards,

Willy

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.291 / U:0.108 seconds]