SubjectRe: (reiserfs) Re: sync: why disk cannot spin down
On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 04:53:00PM +0200, Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de> wrote:
> My point is: putting a drive to sleep rather than to standby will not
> help much, it will only delay the spin-up and possibly leave you with a
> slower drive.

Cool logic. How do you define "much"? Drive electronics can still use
a lot of power, and most users (xuan and me excluded ;) want this for
power-save.

In practise, of course, there is a clear trade-off between ugly error (!)
messages from the kernel drawing for your attention and not putting the
drive to sleep.

In general, the kernel support is lacking much with respect to
power-savings (just spin down your scsi-drive to get some nice hang (and
yes, I know the scsi-idle patch)).

--

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.088 / U:0.160 seconds]