SubjectRe: Newbie
On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 05:13:00PM -0500, Don Geddes wrote:
> As a relative newbie to unix platforms I need help on a pretty trivial subject.
> I need a lilo.conf script where I can have the option of loading the original
> kernel 2.2.14 or the new kernel 2.4.0 test5. I have compiled the new kernel
> and had to use bzImage as my zImage was too big. In other words how do I
> configure /etc/lilo.conf so I can choose which kernel to boot? (just in case)

Copy your 2.4.0-test5 kernel to /boot or some such. The only
requirement here is that it resides on the root filesystem. If you
called this kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0-test5, then your lilo.conf entry
should look something like this.

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0-test5
label=test
root=/dev/hda1
read-only

label= can be whatever you want and root= must be set to the device
where your root filesystem lives. After making these changes to
lilo.conf, you will need to run /sbin/lilo to actually commit the
changes. If lilo exits with no errors, then you're done; reboot and
select "test" or whatever you called it and it will boot.
One convention I use that I find to be quite convenient is that I have
a few entries in my lilo.conf that looks like this.

image=/boot/test
label=test
root=/dev/hda6
read-only
optional
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=:)
root=/dev/hda6
read-only

I also name my kernels things like /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0-test5-2000.08.01
so I know for sure when I built it. Then I symlink the known working
kernel to /boot/vmlinuz and the test kernel to /boot/test. The optional
tag in the test image makes sure that if /boot/test doesn't exist, it is
skipped over and /boot/vmlinuz becomes the new default kernel.

> Thanks
>
> Don

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.041 / U:0.728 seconds]