SubjectRe: Re: Question: Linux tuning parameters
> > the /proc/sys/ hierarchy, but it's not really easily
interpreted for a
> > non kernel hacker.
>
> that's a good sign that it doesn't need tuning.

Right...
And all the times you actually need to alter those values?
Wouldn't it be better to document it in the first place, so
one could _plan_ the system setup?

Example:
Setting up a firewall with four interfaces on a network
with some <= 40 concurrent users with linux 2.2, ipchains,
and masquerading. Firewall's hardware is intel p75 with 48MB
ram. In high-traffic situations, the firewall starts
dropping packets excessively.
After some thoughts about this, I dig into the kernel
documentation. After increasing
/proc/sys/net/core/netdev_max_backlog to 1500, hoping this
could be equalient to MAXIMUM PACKET RECEIVE BUFFERS in
netware, the problem is reduced dramatically.

I am really looking for what the /proc/sys is in detail. It
is _not_ well documented anywhere, and if Linux should be
able to compare with the big boys, there should be as few
'secrets' left for the kernel hackers.

Please CC: answers to me as I'm not on the list

Regards

Roy
---
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
Senior systems consultant on Novell, {Li|U}nix, Firewalling
and Microsoft

Work e-mail: <roy.karlsbakk@a-team.no>
Private e-mail: <roy@karlsbakk.net>
Homepage: http://karlsbakk.net/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.022 / U:0.560 seconds]