SubjectRe: 2GIG-file

Alan Cox wrote:

> > Dear Al, Linus, and Alan -- 2GB liit is probably something to look at
> > expanding in the future to support these huge SQL server database files.
>
> Indeed. Thats why there are 2.2 patches and 2.4test already zapped it. I think
> the limit is now about 1Tb for a file and hit due to block layer limits

But not for everything. The 2.2.X VFS is limited to 2GB (since the fs
drivers were coded this way). I treat the off_t field as an unsigned
long so I'm at 4GB. 2.4.X does support big files, but this guy was
asking about "commercial" linux distributions he could get his hands on,
and most folks are still on 2.2.X. Some of the FS drivers treat this
field as a signed long in 2.2.X.

I've known about the LargeFS patches for some time, but do they, for
example, let someone using ncpfs read and write a 4GB file on a NetWare
server? No, they don't because the read() and write() functions are
limited to 2GB in 2.2.X. This support is for EXT% variants and isn't
global across all the fs's. He has to get the data to the system
somehow, and it's a good bet he will be using a network to do it. Which
client can support copying of a 3.4GB file on Linux in the question--
SMBFS since it's an NT server -- I don't think so? Since the VFS is
limited to 2GB, I guess he can install large FS support, then stare at
the system and wonder how to get the file onto it.

:-)

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.144 / U:0.264 seconds]